Monday, April 22, 2013


“The Island”
Home Written Stream of Consciousness

The movie that I chose for the final class assignment is The Island. It is loosely based on one of my favorite books of all time, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. The novel is amazing, and the way that Huxley writes it really makes your imagination run wild. At least, when I read it, I created a really good mental image of what was going on during the story. My choice was originally going to be The Kite Runner, but I found out someone wanted to take that as their choice, so I decided to go with The Island. It’s about the way that society learns to accept things that people say are normal, when in reality they should be found morally and ethically questionable.

It was adapted into a movie that I watched (after I took the test on this book) and I found that the movie was very unfaithful to the book. However, the movie is a journey all by itself and it makes you reflect about society and how people are easily manipulated into assuming that things that are found socially acceptable are right. This is clearly not always the case, and the moral behind this book is that you should learn to question the system, and to make your own decisions in situations that normally would be considered wrong.    

Even though I really liked this novel, I’m going to have to watch the movie again because I forgot most of the details from the movie. Also, if have enough time I might be able to re-read the novel as well, so that I can compare both story lines with a fresh notion of what happens in the story. This also has to do a lot with science, which is what I’ve lived for, for the major part of my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment