Monday, April 22, 2013


“Student conference”
Home Written Stream of Consciousness

I’ve had very few opportunities to speak in public since I graduated from high school, because in High school there are many more extracurricular activities that involve speaking in front of an audience. I really like to speak in front of people, so I was glad when the professor told me I could read my essay in the amphitheater. The only problem with the whole thing for me (my presentation I mean) was that I was very sick, and after the first page my throat got really dry. After I paused for a drink of water, I got really nervous and I started to sweat, a lot! It was horrible, my face was covered I sweat, and because I was conscious that I had a crowd in front of me. Nonetheless, I tried to maintain my composure and I kept reading my essay as calmly and clearly as I could.

The idea of making a conference where students can share their thoughts is really cool. It’s good to be able to express yourself, because you can share your thoughts on assignments or life experiences with other people that have experienced similar situations. It’s also a great opportunity to foment student’s creativity and the fact that people pay attention to what you write. I think that for the next activity, the strategy for promotion has to change. This time around there was very few spectators in the crowd, but with the right promotion, a big crowd could be built up. By going to this conference, you can also observe that diversity that there is in the English department, in terms of the courses that you can take. In fact, since I have to take another English literature course for med school, I might just take one of the courses that I learned about that day during the conference.         

No comments:

Post a Comment